Home News BREAKING: Coronavirus: Lagos bans religious gathering of 50 people for the next...

BREAKING: Coronavirus: Lagos bans religious gathering of 50 people for the next 4 weeks

Author

Date

Category


The Lagos State Government on Wednesday banned all religious gathering over over 50 people within the state.

The decision was arrived at after a meeting of the Lagos State Government with religious bodies in the state.

The religious bodies include the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN and Muslim leaders.

Reading a communique after the meeting held at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, Government Secretariat, in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, Commissioner for Home Affairs, Prince Anofiu Elegushi said the meeting agreed that all large religious gathering of over 50 people should be suspended with immediately.

He said the suspension would last for four weeks, with necessary review carried out if need be.

Elegushi added that a committee had been set up to monitor the enforcement of the suspension to ensure that both Muslims and Christians in the state abide by the decision.

The 15-member committee comprises representatives of Muslims and Christians in the State.

Elegushi also said the meeting agreed that the state government should embark on massive sensitisation of people at the grassroots on the need to embrace proper hygiene.

He added that the meeting agreed that all health workers in the state should up their games in the battle against Coronavirus.

Elegushi stated that it was agreed that the Federal Government should shutdown borders, especially land borders to checkmate the influx of foreigners into Lagos in order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.

The commissioner said the state government would immediately embarked on massive sensitisation of residents to be more aware of the danger posed by Coronavirus.

Elegushi appealed to Lagosians to desist from handshaking and to always wash their hands with soap and water or made use of sanitisers.

Read Also: Spare Nobody In Coronavirus Screening, Sanwo-Olu Tells Airport Workers

Chief Imam of Lagos State, Sheikh Oluwatoyin Abou-Nolla said the action of the state government was commendable, urging all Muslim leaders to abide by the decision and to also make personal hygiene a priority.

Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Apostle Alexander Bamgbola said the nation was at a critical point, stressing that since the outbreak of Coronavirus, Christians had been praying.

“We are at a critical moment in Nigeria, since we heard this, we have been praying. We have listened carefully to one another, particularly the government. The responsibility of every government is to protect the lives of the people.

“We must be proactive and take preventive measures. It is no longer the issue of religion but survival. We are going to accelerate the education of our people. We must listen to the instruction of the government and take the instruction seriously. We agree with the action of the government,” he said.

The post BREAKING: Coronavirus: Lagos bans religious gathering of 50 people for the next 4 weeks appeared first on Oak TV Newstrack.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent posts

BREAKING: NCDC confirms 23 new cases of COVID-19

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday night confirmed twenty-three new cases of Coronavirus in the country. Read Also: COVID-19: Prominent Nigerian-born...

Coronavirus: Panic buying as Bauchi lockdown commence

Bauchi residents are rushing to stock food items and other essential products barely some hours to the total lockdown of the state. Coronavirus. The...

Bayelsa/Kogi Guber: Appeal Court orders INEC to respond to APP’s appeal against exclusion

The Abuja division of the Court of Appeal on Wednesday ordered an accelerated hearing in the appeal filed by the Action Peoples Party...

TCN, NNPC collaborates to increase gas supply to electricity industries

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) on Wednesday said it has received unprecedented support from  the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) for availability...

COVID-19: Buhari approves release of 70,000MT of grains

President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday authorised the release of 70,000 metric tonnes of rice from the nation’s strategic grain reserves. COVID-19. The food will...

Recent comments